They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, August 19, 2010

Paris without Parisians!

Okay, this post has absolutely nothing to do with Midland except for the sentence you are reading right now, and maybe one I toss in later: we did this trip on the cheap by using car rental points, airline miles and hotel "award" points to pay for it all. (We had some pretty big unplanned expenses a bit earlier in the year and I figured I'd cash in some of what I'd earned before the points became devalued further.)


But while composing the previous post a message came in from Accor Hotels, announcing various offers including one with the above title. If you don't know Accor, it's okay: it's a European chain that apparently bought Motel 6 (Tom Bodett?) not too long ago.


I only signed up for Accor's program in Paris in February -- Kathy was with me, since she has family roots in Paris and Parisian French is her other native language. (Never ask her a question when she's running numbers; she does that in French and it takes her a few seconds to switch.) Somehow I've already been elevated two status levels from Classic to Silver and now Gold.


But I found "Paris without Parisians" --from a European hotel chain-- so funny! (Think of "Midland without Midlanders"; Kathy will tell you you have nothing!)


She and I have yet to meet the infamous rude Parisian (and that includes me when I have been on my own). It's a lovely historic city, even in February. Learn a few words and phrases ("Lonely Planet" publishes excellent pocket guides -- I have a shelf full) and you're golden. And if not, you can point to the book!


Midlanders and Michiganders seem to get about quite a bit more than other Americans, so take this as a pointer. (Had I mentioned that waiting in line to ascend the Eiffel Tower on my first visit to Paris I learned that the couple in front of us lived only blocks from my house in MI just before we moved to Midland?)


Accor. I am almost ready to book a trip for a committee meeting in Switzerland in a month. It looks like Accor will get some of my business there. Unlike my preferred airline; it's going to be coach class and probably middle seat all the way. Oh well.


But maybe I'm just accumulating points we can use for the 50th Reunion.

1 comment:

  1. I've occasionally used Accor hotels in Europe as well. One time it was actually an ETAP in the outskirts of Paris. Never heard a word of English in that entire area, other than our own words which no one understood. Despite the languge barrier, everyone tried to be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete