They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Sunday, September 19, 2010

Autumn

Ever since my visit to Midland --so familar, so strange-- it's been on my mind much more than it has for decades. But I think when it is on my mind, it's never more so than in autumn.

I don't remember autumn as a quiet time in Midland; after all the school year was getting underway with lots of activities, new friends, the football season and so much more. But now it has become a sort of quiet time, for reflection, and not just memories of a loss to our family a long time ago in this season -- Kathy and I are both working to recover "autumn" from that memory.

One of the (small) things I don't like about my job is that my peak travel season is in autumn. I don't get to flow with the season; it appears, advances, and departs in fits and jumps. When I left on my last trip we had just the precursor of autumn, a bit early. When I returned again Friday it was clear we're well into autumn and it is evidently going to be one of the most muted years I can recall. I'll know more this coming Thursday when I see what's transpired my week away. Two or more trips after that and the leaves should be down -- it will be over.

All that was highlighted as I took the train in Switzerland from Zurich airport to Lucerne today (first time ever in Switzerland) and I saw the beginnings of Swiss autumn. But it looks to be Midland-style, probably dominated by dramatic tree colors, and unlike Seattle where the trees are sometimes secondary to the shrubbery with muted colors.

I wonder what's happening in Midland now. The first maples should be starting to turn at the top, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment