They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Two days is not enough!

Bill and I were talking the other night about our recent visit to Midland and how it was very different for us both.

He reconnected with some places and people and I saw him come to life. I really enjoyed meeting people and tagging along to the various old haunts including his home and the old neighborhood, walking down the sidewalk with him as my guide. What really got me was just how much more there was to see there than two days could allow. I left wanting more. I definitely want to come back!

No doubt about it, I did not see the hottest (muggiest and buggiest) part of the summer, nor did I endure February, but what I saw, I liked. Mind you, I have lived in some exotic (and not so exotic) places around the world, but nothing prepared me for the warm reception I received there in Midland. I felt like I had come home, and it wasn't even my home. I must have sounded as much like a broken record as he did when seeing my home town in New England. "This looks so much like Michigan!" "This looks so much like Connecticut!" Our homes, though many hundreds of miles apart, are part of what drew us together. I am glad I met this Michigan boy and married him. 31 years later - no regrets.

1 comment:

  1. And I my Connecticut Yankee -- from Antwerp, Rome, Stockholm, Tehran and probably other places I've forgot. Opposites do attract: the world-traveler and the stay-at-home, though we have gotten into a bit of role reversal now.

    We'll be back!

    ReplyDelete