They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Central Park pool



Internet map services are sometimes a good way to check out a location before traveliing, such as figuring out walking routes (if one will be without a car) and such like. So I decided to start taking a look around Midland -- and quickly discovered that the pool is gone! It should have been in the middle of that loop in the center of the photo, but there's no sign of it.


That's a pity; I spent a lot of time in that pool! I think it was octagonal, quite large and lot of fun to swim in. The diving boards were in a fenced deeper area near the middle, and I seem to recall a shallow pool with a slide next to it. All I can guess is that the pool was too old and too expensive to repair.

But it looks like the bandshell is still there (the blue-white thing in the lower left), judging by the benches, but based on its color I suspect something's changed. Spent a lot of time there too, listening to summer evening concerts (one summer selling ice cream from a cart), and even performing there with "Up With People."

No comments:

Post a Comment