They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Friday, June 25, 2010

A Time of Changes

In what seems like an eternity ago, though to my shock I find not much over two weeks have passed, on one of this blog's first postings I wrote: "I've often wondered whether it would have made a difference had we left Midland a year earlier or a year later -- but I have no good answer. "

In the very next posting about the time immediately after my departure I wrote, "But Midland itself had started changing, I learned from letters from my friend." But the letters back and forth with Andy ceased soon after and I heard little from my remaining correspondent.

(The next "datapoint" I had was an early '70s magazine article, don't know which one, that featured a Vietnam vet from Midland who had returned, though all I recall from it was his saying how boring he found the place now, cruising up and down Main Street. Sorry, guy, but I bet that activity was quite boring -- and not just in Midland!)

But it seems I have the answer to my question now, thanks to K., friend from way back, who has told me much more about the changes that hit soon after I left. It appears they were bigger than my correspondents told me, though I still have no concept of what that time of changes was like for those who were there. But at the very least I now have an answer to my decades-old question, and that is worth much to me.

Thank you, K!

No comments:

Post a Comment