They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Sunday, June 20, 2010

"When you've had your fun..."

In Midland I spent a lot of time, and money, at this great used-book store, filling what out here we call a "rambler"-style house, and it did seem to ramble.

I spent a lot of time with a quarter (or more) in my pocket, poring over all the options before me, whether it was the science fiction rack on the back wall, the military history in the front left room (I think), or sometimes just through other areas of the house. Usually I'd ride away with a paperback, once in a while a hardback.

I built up a pretty sizable base of what became a 3000-volume collection of science fiction -- all but 300 of which went away in the '80s Great Downsizing (books are SO heavy!) But there are still a number of books bearing this stamp downstairs in the library.

I am sure the business and the house are long since gone, though I cannot tell for the latter because I don't remember exactly where it was, things around that end of Rodd have changed greatly (no surprise), and there must have been a street renaming because the Internet map services turn "319 E. Rodd St" into "319 Rodd Street" and give me a location near the other end of Rodd.

But anyway, thank you, Mr. Harris. It was truly a joy doing business with you.


But I still wonder about that book I passed over for so many years because of its cover art. Of course it couldn't be any good -- though if I'd known about Philip K. Dick at the time things might have been different.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the "collection" very well! Moving it along with all the magazines (Dr Dobbs, Scientific American, National Geographic, Electronic Design News, and many other trade journals) and my French Literature texts and books was quite a feat - from California to Washington. But for the fact that Applied Micro paid for the move, we could not have afforded it. Redmond also had a used bookstore which was in a storefront and subsequently moved to a rambling corner house - hours of delight spent there, too! I was cured of my love for books by my literature studies. I occasionally pick up one of yours and try reading for sheer enjoyment - recovery is a bit of work. Thank you for all your years of patience as you listened to me rail and wail against the infernal existentialists and nihilists. I survived the ordeal because of your love.

    ReplyDelete