They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, June 17, 2010

Frank Lloyd Wright

About 20 years ago, while helping a small library set up a computerized check-out system, I came across an old book about Frank Lloyd Wright. One chapter covered Midland and I was amazed (it also mentioned Arlen Dow, as I recall).


St. John's with its nautical theme I had long known. But the surprise was in the photos (all black&white) of the houses that looked familiar, because (I think) I had pushed my ice-cream cart past them. I never knew.


I've been trying to find that book without success (I am sure it is LONG out of print!). I am sure I wrote the information down, but if I did it's stored where it will take a LOT of time to find; at the time I thought I'd never go back -- I am not a traveler by nature.


Neither have I found a definitive list of his buildings in Midland, though I came across a page yesterday that says there are two of his Midland houses on the market.

2 comments:

  1. were you still in Midland when Alden Dow came to the youth group and did a slide show of his work, with Fr. Tom Vaughn improvising on the piano? It makes me so sad that it wasn't filmed. I don't think any of us realized what was in store for us that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid I wasn't. It's been a while since I thought of Fr. Tom Vaughn; my only other visit to Bay City was to see him perform.

    ReplyDelete