They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Saturday, June 19, 2010

A perfect gift

In an e-mail exchange with one of my Midland friends (and classmate) last night, she reminded me that there were two of us who left Midland High School that year. She had thought this might have been his blog.

Sure enough, Keith lived across the street and we were friends. We both started playing the baritone horn in Eastlawn; my mother thought it was funny to walk down the street when we were practicing, to hear our horns hooting at each other.

And it was funny later that year when he showed up at my high school. It turns out his parents bought a house on the other side of the block from ours!

I don't know what has happened to him. In California we went off in different directions with different crowds; his experience was clearly not like mine. With one less session per day, and with exciting new electives available, I dropped band and orchestra in favor of chemistry and electronics. He took off towards art and architecture.

The last time I saw him was at my wife's and my wedding reception in California, 31 years ago. We still have the lovely stained-glass rose he made for us -- he did not know it but my wife, like the Persian people she loves to this day (she lived in Iran and includes Farsi among her many languages), came to love roses. A perfect gift, Keith!

(And thank you for the reminder, L.)

No comments:

Post a Comment