They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, June 24, 2010

The last map?


I've probably now exhausted what I can learn from satellite images. Three more changes:

"Nelson Park" used to be nothing more than a couple of empty lots where the neighborhood kids would play baseball, fly kites and other activities. Sometime in the earlier 60s the neighborhood parents got together and erected a backstop -- in the corner to the bottom in this photo instead of the original home plate in the left-hand corner, to keep the balls from landing in the gardens kept by the older couple to the south. (We knew them as grouchy people, but they really just didn't want us tramping down their flowers, as I learned one day when a pop fly landed in their garden. I went over to politely ask if I could retrieve it; they agreed but asked me to stay on the walkways, which I did, carefully, and they were always nice to me after that.) But the baseball diamond is now gone and Nelson Park is planted with trees.

The circle at the bottom shows the absence of a friend's home (the one I gave the TV to). No idea what happened. I wonder if their apple trees are still there.

The circle to the right shows big changes. Friend and classmate Jim Shaw used to live in that areas, when it was still residential. But the houses are all gone.

One of our classmates warned me a couple of days about getting turned around in one's own hometown. Seeing these changes, I can believe it. Thanks for the warning, K!

No comments:

Post a Comment