They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Monday, June 21, 2010

Midland Daily News

One of the nice things about the Internet is how much news & information is available from a distance, usually on a pretty timely basis. It's a long ways from my occasional jaunt for a time so many years ago to a particular shop in Seattle's Pike Place Market to pick up the latest newspaper from New Zealand.

The just-rediscovered availability of the Midland Daily News online is informative... and yet... it isn't. What does it all mean? A deli in the Community Center (CC)? I'm guessing this isn't the snack stand where we kids bought chips and sodas while watching (free) cartoon films or playing various games in the CC on Saturday afternoons back in the 60s.

Overlooking the "Oasis" pool? Does this mean the deli is in the spectator area a floor above the pool I remember? Have they rebuilt the interior? Are there two pools now?

Just what am I going to find there? I cannot tell.

3 comments:

  1. But ugh! 80F and probably quite humid there in Midland right now.

    Slightly humid here in the Seattle area too, but it's a comfortable shirt-sleeve 61F outside. Didn't wear my jacket home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. check your e-mail. Yes, the pool has been renovated, but you'll be surprised how much still exists. The gym still smells like men and boys (and now girls) sweat. Did you ever go to the Sat afternoon dances there? Talk about a musky ordor to set off adolescent hormones even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gym, OMG. Well, gyms across America (I am NOT going to say the world over, I've seen enough of that) probably all smell the same.

    I don't remember the Saturday afternoon dances there, but I remember at least one Saturday evening dance there (Central Intermediate: another posting topic) where my date (you know who you are, Miss D.) left me privately blushing; I was always the shy guy.

    ReplyDelete