They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Monday, July 5, 2010

Technical Town

Conversations both on this blog and backchannel have been telling me a lot more about Midland today -- unsurprisingly a rather different place than it was 42 years ago, but some things I might not have guessed.

One is the influx of (East) Indians. During my time Midland was completely "caucasian," and though I never knew much of Dow after it went into hard times sometime in the early 70s (one of my correspondents then reported that about 1/3 of the houses were up for sale) it seems it's recovered, doing well, and bringing in folks from other lands.

And Redmond (WA) seems to be a bit like Midland in this regard. When I moved here in 1983 from Silicon Valley I was moving into a technical backwater, again mostly "caucasian"; a very few small high-tech companies -- including Microsoft which was housed in a single building then. And Redmond was small; I'm sure it had more than the single stoplight I remember but there wasn't much here.

Of course Microsoft took off and helped spawn many other high-tech companies. And Redmond has grown; the old Workshop Tavern is gone (torn down without ever catching fire, amazing because the grease on the walls was so thick even in '83), more stoplights than I can count, an amazing proliferation lately of high-rises -- and a huge influx of people from elsewhere. A large housing development back of our facility is about half owned by Indians. And on the streets in town you'll readily hear Chinese, various Indian languages (I assume -- I cannot distinguish Hindi from the other 26 or so languages spoken in India) and Arabic.

This is going to be an interesting visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment