They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, July 8, 2010

T - 21 days and counting

Three weeks from right now we should be pushing back from the gate in Salt Lake City (SLC) on our way to Detroit (DTW). We arrive pretty late so we'll just go to the hotel, just outside the airport, and pick up the car in the morning.


Because nothing starts until later in the day, we'll take a little time to visit my old haunts in the Detroit area (and besides, I'd promised pictures to a neighbor).


And here's where the fun starts. Pleasant Ridge, check: remember the address, house is still there. Clawson (only 5 miles away?!), check: looked at a map and remember the street and block, but the houses are all like. Lake Orion, bzzzt: remember nothing.


Or almost nothing. One street name sounds familiar though it's oriented 90 degrees from memory. I remember the block really well, though -- it's the downhill slope associated in memory with my direct-drive pedal-to-wheel bike, and later on a friend's way-too-big three-speed. Sheer terror can do that to you.


I checked with my parents and they don't remember the address either. We didn't reside in any of these places for long: the sad story of my misspent pre-Midland youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment