They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Monday, July 26, 2010

I wonder if it has air-conditioning?

Those who followed a link to my work blog (like Linda Fay [hmmm... I bet there's more to the surname] did) know that today I work in the general arena of air-conditioning and related control systems -- today these systems are all computers talking to computers; like most everything else, that thermostat on the wall has a computer behind it talking to others.


But I think back on my old schools. When I was there Eastlawn Elementary had an old hydronic (steam/water) radiator system that warmed us in winter but did nothing the rest of the year. I will never forget the impatience-provoking smell of "summer" wafting in through open schoolroom windows at the end of the school year.


And the problem the instant I was on summer vacation: "What do I do now? I'm bored!"


I have no such recollections for Central Intermediate, though I recall it had what are now called "operable windows" (which means you can open them). Midland High School: I'm simply not sure; I think they could be opened.


I am amazed that Eastlawn Elementary is still standing. Built right after WWII, I read somewhere, it's still there. Not a pretty building outside, though why they took out the tree(s) I do not know. In my memory the tree(s) softened its lines.


I'd love to get a tour of Eastlawn and Central, but in today's environment they'll probably be completely locked up.


But for Eastlawn, at least, I wonder if they've installed an HVAC system. A significant investment, but one that might indicate a desire at some point to keep using the building for some time to come.


OTOH if they've done so, today's kids won't smell the coming "summer" in the final hours of the school year. And that would be an experiental loss.


SCHOOL'S OUT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment