They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Last thoughts

It's 6:30 AM (PDT); in a few hours we'll be at the airport to begin our journey to Midland.

But as Kathy is beginning to understand, from my own personal perspective that probably nobody else shares, this is more than merely a visit and a time to reconnect with old friends. I've long been a bit envious of Christine Primrose, composer and singer of "Carlobhagh" (noted in Songs of home, pronounced roughly "Carlovag", BTW) -- her culture is threatened again with extinction, as it was a century and a half ago during the Clearances when my forebears left Scotland for America, and when all the "songs of home" started to be written, but it still exists. Unlike my (old) Midland. I have some "file drawers" (girlsinger) to close.

But whatever. My foremost plan is to have a good time reconnecting with old friends, and to introduce my world-traveling wife for the first time to the lovely land we know as Michigan and the wonderful people who inhabit(ed) it. Please give her your best Michigander greetings; she's a lot like us but doesn't know it yet.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment