They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Almost a Midlander

Yesterday I exchanged a series of e-mail chats with a colleague, the founder of the EIS Alliance in whose technical working group I participate, as a result of advising him that I will miss next week's Friday teleconference due to the reunion -- having missed last Friday's due to the camp-out and this Friday's due to conflicts with no less than four other concurrent meetings and teleconferences.


His responses regarding the reunion were interesting:


We did a combination of mailing (I am sure there are some of the people from your class who are not actively using email), email, and word of mouth. One of the critical things was an active campaign to locate people. ... Having done this before I am pretty seasoned...

Well, I am not too worried about this. I know nothing of prior MHS Class of '70 reunions, though I am sure there have been some. But as soon as I saw Nancy Nunemaker's name on the committee I knew it was going to be done right -- which is not putting any of the rest of you down, and I remember those of you I knew 42+ years ago, but Nancy in particular stands out in my memory.


In a later e-mail my colleague said:


At one point in my youth my family was going to move to Midland. My father worked for a division of Dow Chemical and a move back to the "source" was an option. I am sure it [the reunion] will be a lot of fun. ...

He almost became a Midlander; it is really a small world! But now I have a bit more assurance every time I ask myself, "Why am I putting myself through all this?" that this will be fun. To visit old haunts, to see what the old town has become, to meet long-lost friends again...


But I wonder, who is coming (and who isn't)? It's only the "40th", after all, and for folks who live in the general area, and/or whose close friendships were gained and lost on a continual basis, it's probably not a big deal.


'L' who lived across the street says she is coming, and it will be great to see her again; I known my wife will love her! girlsinger hasn't said but probably has her hands too full. And the trio (associated at least in memory) of friends from so long ago: Sidni, Sidney and Wendy... I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment