They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Thursday, July 1, 2010

Uh-oh

During dinner last night with a few colleagues and professional society executives, we discussed a new committee being formed for rapid development of a new technology. It had just been approved by the board of directors and the topics were various particulars on how to get it going as of yesterday, especially as one of my colleagues present will be the committee chair.

There is no doubt that my employer will want me involved; I've already been a contributor to the background work this committee will carry forward. I don't have any problem with that but the kickoff face-to-face meeting, which the chair reasonably wants to conduct as soon as possible, could be on August 2nd or 3rd. (The execs said it just isn't possible in July for procedural reasons.)

If it's the 2nd I have a problem -- that's the day I've booked my flight home from the reunion (using frequent-flier miles so it could be hard to change). If it's the 3rd I might make it by taking a red-eye out, in which case I am trashed the whole day (I speak from experience regarding this exact same route and situation just last year).

Although I probably already know at least most of what will be presented to the meeting, I should be there for political reasons.

Hopefully it will be pushed out a few days. I may know next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment