They say you can't go home again and they're right... but who says you can't go visit?



Monday, July 12, 2010

Fragments

Years ago I knew an expert in human memory. I wish I could consult on the little memories that suddenly come up now.


For example, this weekend I was composing an e-mail about some element of the upcoming trip and all of a sudden a scene pops up:


I'm standing in a neighbor's yard, watching as a very bright rainbow rises from somewhere off towards the left, arches into the sky and continues to grow down towards the right. The neighbor says, "God's painting in the sky with a big paintbrush" -- and that's exactly how it looked.

Who that neighbor was, I do not know. Other than his being a nice old man (very vague) I don't remember his name, his face, or anything else but this scene. I haven't recalled that scene in decades, if ever, and it seems to have no other context than "rainbows" and "place."


Odd. It has to arise from focusing on visiting after such a long time away. I wonder what other little fragments of memory are sitting there, so long forgotten?


Update: LOL, then there are the things I don't remember at all such as napping on top of the ice cream cart, which my mother says Fr. Elliot reported to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment